Genetics Student Retreat
Keynote Speaker: Abby Dernburg
The 2022 Genetics Student Retreat will be held at the UI Art Building West. On October 7th there will be a Public Presentation by our keynote speaker, Dr. Abby Dernburg. Doors will open at 5:00pm, presentation will begin at 6:00.
Dr. Dernburg is a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator and Professor of Molecular and Cell Biology at the University of California Berkeley. She assisted in the development of the wide-field deconvolution microscopy system that was later commercialized as DeltaVision. Her lab currently investigates how chromosomes are physically remodeled during meiosis, how chromosomes pair and synapse with their homologs, how meiotic crossovers are regulated to ensure proper segregation, and how these mechanisms are coordinated and surveilled by the meiotic cell cycle machinery.
October 7th - Public presentation by keynote Dr. Abby Dernburg
- 5:00pm - doors open
- 6:00pm - presentation "Quality control during sexual reproduction - lessons from the nematode C. elegans”
October 8th - Genetics Program Events (Genetics Program students & faculty)
- 8:00am Check-in & continental breakfast
- 8:30 Opening Remarks
- 8:40 Student oral presentations—Session 1
- 9:45 Poster session 1
- 10:45 Alumna Speaker - Dina Ahram MSc, Ph.D., FACMG, MB(ASCP), CGMBS
- 11:15 Alumnus Speaker - Marwan Tayeh Ph.D., FACMG
- 12:00 Lunch
- 1:00 Student oral presentations—Session 2
- 2:00 Poster session 2
- 3:15 Keynote Speaker - Abby Dernburg Ph.D.
- 4:30 Closing Remarks & Award Ceremony